Sunday 4 July 2010

About World Cup and Turtles


Footie virus has spread all across Doha, and turtles have landed at Fuwarit beach!

Let's talk about soccer first. While Singaporeans were fuming over the subscription prices they had to fork-out to watch the once in every four year live matches, many in Doha were content to just pay S$140. There were no boycotts and/or petitions going around the desert. Everyone just got on with life, and we were all about it - I think I've seen more WC fixtures being printed off the laserjet than my agreements! Tea boys, colleagues were happy to relive glorious goal moments and recant flops and guffaws of goalies strikers and midfielders. People were keen to head home early to catch the last few minutes of a game, or stay in on a Friday-Saturday evening at home to watch with family and friends. Bars, food courts, restaurants got in on the action as well, setting up screens of all sizes to draw the crowds. I am quite enjoying it, this seasonal footie flu, of sharing the joy of a goal being scored, or the sadness of my two Mancunians neighbours when England exited from the WC. Sigh.

In the midst of this soccer frenzy, baby turtles were making their way out of the desert-beach @Fuwarit. Managed by Qatar University Environmental Studies Centre, Mr. Shafeek, the guardian over these hawksbill baby turtles, was pleased to let us have an up close and very personal encounter with these sea creatures. No bigger than the palm of my hand, I held one which was all too eager to break free and head...towards the light. I've swam with turtles in Tioman, I've seen mummy turtles lay their eggs on Christmas Day in Sri Lanka, and now, I can proudly proclaim that I've held one in my hand!

If you can’t make it to Fuwarit beach, then check out the satellite tracked turtles in the Gulf at http://www.gulfturtles.com/

Click on Satellite Tracking, then Track the Turtles to see the list of Gulf Turtles. The following are Qatari turtles: Q (adopted by CNA-Q students), 53010, 53011, 53013, and 53015.

Till next time, Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment