Monday 28 June 2010

How to make friends...and keep them














I know I am off my schedule for this blog submission, but I had a mental block over the weekend. I knew my topic would be about friendship-relationships, but I just could not find the words to express myself. Then on Monday early morning, sieving through my emails, I received an email from my colleague. “You are cordially invited to a BBQ with my family…” – this was quite a surprise; an invite from a Qatari. I could not decline, as he gave me no option to refuse. Frankly, invitations like these from a native Q is rare. The Q social web is not accessible to outsiders. I have not heard anyone lay claim to a friendly infiltration into Q hospitality. I was rather fortunate.

So how/what was the experience like? Noting the prime address/location, I expected to visit a mansion- or palace-like house, and yes, it was at least a double bungalow! But I did not score quite well on my other assumptions and it all vanished when I was greeted by my colleague dressed down in shorts, Ts and flip-flops, holding in his hand a can of beverage of the spirits kind! What a contrast, as I would normally see him at the office in his traditional arab robe and tuk.

I was quite humbled by the whole experience, of meeting his wife, son and relations, their warmth and sincerity, openness, sharing a simple Arabic BBQ dinner with foreigners, light-hearted banter under an exceptionally and unusually cool summer's evening. This was a picture-perfect setting.

In between servings of yummilicious grilled chicken, homemade hummus, fattoush and other Arabic fare, my colleague shared with me his work philosophy, and his thoughts about people. "...they are assets, yani...but we must treat them well...and what they want to feel...is encouragement...if we don’t manage relations well, they will leave…”. Although he was saying this in the context of work relations, I felt that it held true in any kind of relationship one would chance upon. The friendships I have formed in Doha have been encouraging, and I treasure them very much. Even though I am somewhat sad to leave Qatar, and unable to manage the friendship closely (ie. staying on and bonding together regularly), I take heart knowing that some time, some day, somewhere, in a not so distant future, we would cross paths, and write a new history.

Till next time, Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment